It was at Little Bear’s six month well baby check that I learned he had an ear infection the first time. “Has he been fussy?” the doctor asked. “Has he been pulling at his ear?” “No” I said, shaking my head. I was in complete disbelief that anything was wrong with happy little baby. Fast forward 4 years almost exactly and we’re still fighting with his little ears. Ideally, that fight will be won tomorrow. My sweet boy will be having his adenoids removed tomorrow and quite possibly have his second set of tubes put in place.
His first surgery, at 15 months of age, was simple. They don’t even intubate them because the surgery is so quick. When they took LB back for surgery, J left to take Belle to preschool just a few miles away. I was with LB in the recovery room when J returned, that’s how fast it is.
This surgery, though still “minor”, is slightly more involved. He will have to be intubated. He will be given stronger anesthetic medications. He’s of an age that has a higher incidence of post-op night terrors (I’m sure there’s a technical term for it, but I’d just have to explain it anyway.) This surgery carries with it an increased chance of post op nausea/vomiting.
All in all, I really, really want my little boy’s ears fixed. I’m tired of worrying over every runny nose, waiting for him to wake in the night crying in pain. I’ve spent far too much time fretting about his hearing, fearful of permanent damage. So when the doctor asked if we wanted to try one more last ditch conservative (3 month) treatment or move on with surgery, J and I both agreed we were ready for surgery. And then, as schedules were being considered, and papers were being signed, it hit me. I just signed my baby boy up for real deal surgery.
And so, tomorrow morning, should you find yourself with a quiet moment, please offer up a prayer for my little guy. And maybe you could say one for his mama too.